We've come a *long* way, baby...
Iono....today. Actuallly, the past week or so has been the oddest of weeks.
Hmm.. it may have started when a week or two ago I happened to land on a discussion in Amazon about book reviewers. One criticized another reviewer because of her review of a book. Believe me when I say the discussion got strange.
Then, I thought color me old world, old school, or just plain long in the tooth. I'm not though, btw. But life has a way of making you feel like that. I digress. *All* my life I've been in libraries. Know the workings, blah, blah blah..and there was a time when libraries didn't have computers. Internet..let alone blogs, and ebooks.
So now that we have all this with as many book blogs that are out there, where do reviewers get off criticizing other reviewer's reviews? Especially in a little review off of Amazon? Not to mention another blogger had said something to me about my review on a book we had both read. I was honest. Not overtly harsh or critical. And the other person got a tad upset that I didn't quite like the book. (She didn't write the book, btw).
Book reviewing and reading is supposed to be fun. We're not competing to be published in the NY Times Book Review, are we?
Competition? For what? An Olympic gold medal?
When did book blogging equal a chance for a Pulitzer Prize?
I blog because I enjoy it. It's faster than scribbling in a journal, and I can connect with those with similar likes. But can I say... dayum?
There is so much I can roll and rant on this.... but don't wanna. It just have been cramping my style and twisting my brain on books. And I *hate* that! *grimaces & sighs*
If it were an essay on a book by John Updike or Kurt Vonnegut, maybe then I can understand the need to critical go over and the red ink. Or even fanfiction! LOL!
Believe it or not. Ye old fanfic writers hold to a standard in writing that oddly enough I've found better than in some of the ebooks that are out there. Strange, huh?
'member the old ciggy add that use to run in the magazines & show up on billboards? The words can be taken in many ways but it still holds true. Yes, we've come a long way, baby. *grins*
Hmm.. it may have started when a week or two ago I happened to land on a discussion in Amazon about book reviewers. One criticized another reviewer because of her review of a book. Believe me when I say the discussion got strange.
Then, I thought color me old world, old school, or just plain long in the tooth. I'm not though, btw. But life has a way of making you feel like that. I digress. *All* my life I've been in libraries. Know the workings, blah, blah blah..and there was a time when libraries didn't have computers. Internet..let alone blogs, and ebooks.
So now that we have all this with as many book blogs that are out there, where do reviewers get off criticizing other reviewer's reviews? Especially in a little review off of Amazon? Not to mention another blogger had said something to me about my review on a book we had both read. I was honest. Not overtly harsh or critical. And the other person got a tad upset that I didn't quite like the book. (She didn't write the book, btw).
Book reviewing and reading is supposed to be fun. We're not competing to be published in the NY Times Book Review, are we?
Competition? For what? An Olympic gold medal?
When did book blogging equal a chance for a Pulitzer Prize?
I blog because I enjoy it. It's faster than scribbling in a journal, and I can connect with those with similar likes. But can I say... dayum?
There is so much I can roll and rant on this.... but don't wanna. It just have been cramping my style and twisting my brain on books. And I *hate* that! *grimaces & sighs*
If it were an essay on a book by John Updike or Kurt Vonnegut, maybe then I can understand the need to critical go over and the red ink. Or even fanfiction! LOL!
Believe it or not. Ye old fanfic writers hold to a standard in writing that oddly enough I've found better than in some of the ebooks that are out there. Strange, huh?
'member the old ciggy add that use to run in the magazines & show up on billboards? The words can be taken in many ways but it still holds true. Yes, we've come a long way, baby. *grins*

Comments
People maye love or hate books, and no one should tell them they shouldn't
@TK....Hi!! Long time no hearing from! XD Yeah reviews are. They can be helpful on Amazon and the fact that people get bent is odd to me. I noticed that about your blog, and you have a lot of other interesting things on your blog too! :)