What is Sepsis?

For me, for future reference, definitions of things will appear such as the following:

Sepsis is a potentially life-threatening complication of an infection. Sepsis occurs when chemicals released into the bloodstream to fight the infection trigger inflammatory responses throughout the body. This inflammation can trigger a cascade of changes that can damage multiple organ systems, causing them to fail.
If sepsis progresses to septic shock, blood pressure drops dramatically, which may lead to death.
Anyone can develop sepsis, but it's most common and most dangerous in older adults or those with weakened immune systems. Early treatment of sepsis, usually with antibiotics and large amounts of intravenous fluids, improves chances for survival.
(taken from : http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sepsis/basics/definition/con-20031900)
*********************************
My thing is, I don't think people know or even realize that ANYONE CAN DEVELOP SEPSIS.
And not enough people realize what happens when a person allows any type of infection to continue and not be treated.  In my case I had an infection that I was not aware of because of a number reasons.  When sepsis happens a large number of things can happen as a result if you don't die.


wolf-15 photo wolf-15-1_zps9e1ed1d0.jpg

Comments

Popular Posts