Dark Lover - JR Ward

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood. The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.
Kindle Edition, 416 pages
Published April 11th 2007 by Signet (first published September 2005)
primary languageEnglish
original titleDark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
seriesBlack Dagger Brotherhood #1
charactersWrath, Beth (Elizabeth) Randall
settingCaldwell, New York (United States)
literary awardsAll About Romance (AAR) Yearly Reader Award for Best Alt Reality/Paranormal (2005)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The first in the series on the Black Daggar Brotherhood by J.R. Ward. The series gets rave reviews left and right from variety of readers, and from the info above it even got an award.
So why is it that I always feel like a sellout when I cave in to buy and read a book or series that's been widely raved by almost all? *rueful smile* It's just me. So I read it, and the following below is my review at GR...
~~
It's pretty doggone kewl. I did like Wrath and Beth. How Butch and Marissa got attracted to each other was a relief because of how things were going with Wrath and Beth you kinda felt bad for Marissa. But one of the main things I didn't like was the tone of assumption was as if the reader was supposed to know all this stuff was gonna happen anyway. Or that the reader is supposed to know it all even though there is a glossary in the beginning.
The sensation was weird and the atmosphere within interesting. You felt as if on a new rollercoaster and didn't know how the ride was going to turn out.
The reader will find themselves attracted to the camaraderie of the Brotherhood and the men themselves, while still trying to get a grasp on things...
My favorite line...'Hey, they like you.' (Wrath to Beth after the Brotherhood scared her for a minute by stabbing daggars into the floor while they knelt & pounded the floor). XD
~~
Can I say that even though the thought of all that manly flesh, I'm still not sold on vampires? It feels strange reading about them and blah, blah, blah, and yet still not thinking that they're ....what's the phrase?? 'Bees knees?' 'Cremedelahcreme?' 'Hottest happy meal on two legs?' Sorry wrong turn of phrase..that was too Buffy. ummmm...'thegreatestthingsinceslicedbread?'
Whatever. I give. Calling it a night...but it's been a good day. XD
Comments
The last I heard was that you were getting into this book, then a three star popped up. I was momentarily confused.